[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Wed Apr 13 19:32:34 UTC 2022

----- Op 13 apr 2022 om 21:13 schreef Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com:

> Speaking as an experimental user (read: OI is not my daily driver) who
> acknowledges OI inherits a lot of internal functionality from a
> server/workstation distro (openSolaris): all of this strikes me as
> anachronistically(?) complicated for something that should by default
> expect to get an IP address lease from any DHCP server on a network to
> which it's connected.

It's not really anachronistic.  It's just that there is an enormous amount of history behind the networking stack and OpenIndiana is the kind of operating system distribution where users appreciate "old conventions" for configuring the network.

I appreciate the attempt (and necessity) in Illumos/OI for retaining backward compatibility with the network configuration scripts and methods of the past ...

In the case of the route:default service the manifest still has :

$ grep enable /lib/svc/manifest/network/routing/route.xml
        <instance name='default' enabled='false' >

When I attempted to reproduce the issue, initially it seems on first boot that the service was created disabled.
So at first I thought I could not reproduce it.  The installer seems to create route:default in disabled state
(as it should).

Something seemed to have enabled it on the second boot for me.

Anyway the method to disable route:default (if it is not needed) is described in
https://www.illumos.org/issues/14006

Regards,
David Stes