[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 19:13:27 UTC 2022

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 2:03 PM Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 08:04:40PM +0200, stes at PANDORA.BE wrote:
>
> > The documentation
> >
> http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/systems-administration/#configuring-networking
> > writes:
>
> > "While usually server and desktop installations tend to use default
> > network configurations, laptop users can leverage nwam network
> > configuations."
>
> That really means: "in an envionment where the network configuration
> changes frequently".

Speaking as an experimental user (read: OI is not my daily driver) who
acknowledges OI inherits a lot of internal functionality from a
server/workstation distro (openSolaris): all of this strikes me as
anachronistically(?) complicated for something that should by default
expect to get an IP address lease from any DHCP server on a network to
which it's connected.

Or, put more simply: it assumes a lot of network complexity that isn't
there for most (home) networks.

I'm not necessarily advocating for it to change since I don't have the time
to do it and clearly it seems to work for many people; just making an
observation. I can't think of any other OS I've used (Android, Linux,
Windows, (Free)BSD) for which maintaining a network connection isn't
anything more than connecting an Ethernet cable.