[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Sun Apr 17 11:25:01 UTC 2022

----- Op 16 apr 2022 om 0:58 schreef Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org:

> Whether it is installed or not, the routing setup service should not
> have a special case like it does today that tries to guess at whether
> or not this daemon should be enabled.  The operator should be required
> to turn it on explicitly via routeadm, or potentially via SMF.

I was thinking that if the service or daemon is not enabled,
it perhaps also simply shouldn't be installed.

Otherwise the minimal server type installs software that just sits there to be disabled.

Also the name of the package network/routing may be a little misleading,
I've opened a request to change it to for example,

https://www.illumos.org/issues/14644

Something like : system/network/dynamic-routing

If the package were called 'dynamic-routing' it could make sense to immediately enable the routing daemons when they are installed.

Anyway this must be a super classical issue, if it is a bug, it is not a new bug, but more a very old one, perhaps 30 years old bug.

For example the 1995 O'Reilly book 'Essential System Administration' from Aeleen Frisch,
warns that after installation of your operating system, check to disable routed.

Regards,
David Stes