[OpenIndiana-discuss] ssh -X mate-terminal error

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Apr 25 18:37:06 UTC 2022

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022, Peter Tribble wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 6:52 PM Stephan Althaus <
> Stephan.Althaus at duedinghausen.eu> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> This does not work anymore:
>>
>> ssh <hostname> -X mate-terminal
>>

> I've often found it necessary to use -Y instead of -X, and that's probably
> necessary in this case.

This maps to using the option ForwardX11Trusted=yes.

According to the Debian ssh manual page:

              (Debian-specific: X11 forwarding is not subjected to X11
              SECURITY extension restrictions by default, because too
              many programs currently crash in this mode.  Set the
              ForwardX11Trusted option to “no” to restore the upstream
              behaviour.  This may change in future depending on client-
              side improvements.)

So it appears that Debian added a customization for this case.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt