[OpenIndiana-discuss] ssh -X mate-terminal error

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Apr 25 18:43:07 UTC 2022

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> This maps to using the option ForwardX11Trusted=yes.
>
> According to the Debian ssh manual page:
>
>             (Debian-specific: X11 forwarding is not subjected to X11
>             SECURITY extension restrictions by default, because too
>             many programs currently crash in this mode.  Set the
>             ForwardX11Trusted option to “no” to restore the upstream
>             behaviour.  This may change in future depending on client-
>             side improvements.)
>
> So it appears that Debian added a customization for this case.

I quoted the wrong paragraph (I used the one for -X).  This is the
paragraph which was added to the Debian manual page for -Y:

              (Debian-specific: In the default configuration, this option
              is equivalent to -X, since ForwardX11Trusted defaults to
              “yes” as described above.  Set the ForwardX11Trusted option
              to “no” to restore the upstream behaviour.  This may change
              in future depending on client-side improvements.)

Regardless, it seems that OpenIndiana could include the same default
customization that Debian added.  It seems that this customization was
added while building OpenSSH rather than by editing a config file.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt