[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] Miscellaneous component fixes and migrations

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Sat Aug 6 18:06:55 UTC 2022

Regarding the various fixes and migrations going on.

First of all I should say that I was able to pkg update my system,
and that perl-534 and perl-536 are installed.

gmake setup of the oi-userland ran fine , and all of the recent PERL updates seem to work fine.

I'm no Perl expert and I'm not sure whether I had to do this but I manually set the perl mediator to perl 5.34.
So the "pkg mediator" for perl reports a "local" VER.SRC for version 5.34.

When I type 'perl --version' obviously it reports 5.34.  As gcc I use gcc 7.5 and cmake is at 3.23.3.

As explained, Squeak uses nowadays a custom configure script which is not autoconf generated,
and it uses cmake.   The OpenSmalltalk fork of Squeak is using autoconf configure as Squeak itself used to do,
before it abandonded GNU autoconf and started to use cmake.

The OpenSmalltalk packages cog-spur and stack-spur build fine and do not have any problem.

But the Makefile for Squeak itself continues to report an error.

I think that the last good changeset was 522d32b5 and the first bad changeset for me was de49ed8c.

There is a change there in the location of make-ruiles/common.mk

The file common.mk has a line :

  include $(WS_MAKE_RULES)/prep.mk

It used to be placed at line 31 and it is now moved a little bit further down towards line 56.

When I put the include of prep.mk back at line 31 my Makefile (for Squeak) works again,
after undoing the move of the include prep.mk statement (and only that).

In fact I'd like to submit an update to the Squeak Makefile because there is now a new Squeak VM 4.19.15.

I am not sure how to proceed and whether to change my Makefile or ask to review the common.mk change please ?

Thanks
David Stes