[OpenIndiana-discuss] Build essential

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Sat Jan 1 01:41:41 UTC 2022

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Build essential, hput via...:

> How ever I have read threads about a `build essential' pkg available
> for oi/hipster I can't seem to find anything pkg search that has a
> name like that.

Either

 	pfexec pkg install build-essential

(if you've set up the necessary role) or

 	sudo pkg install build-essential

if you prefer sudo.  Keep in mind that if you just installed and you
haven't done an update yet, you *must*

 	{sudo|pfexec} pkg update

first.

build-essential won't get you *every* development-related package, but
it's enough to get started.

I think build-essential is a consolidation, not a package, so that may
be why it wasn't showing up in your search.

Also, if you wanted a GUI, you probably want

 	pfexec pkg install mate_install
 	pfexec pkg uninstall mate_install

(you don't need to keep mate_install after its pulled in all the GUI
stuff, so 'mate_install' can be safely removed once its installed its
dependencies).

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)