[OpenIndiana-discuss] FLAG DAY: Default perl updated from 5.22 to 5.34

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Fri Jul 1 05:13:48 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 10:29:20PM -0500, Tim Mooney via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] FLAG DAY: Default perl updated from...:
>
> > Perl 5.34 is deafult now
> > ------------------------
> >
> > After more than 5 years we switched our default perl from 5.22 to 5.34.
>
> Yay!  Really nice job getting the default switched!
>
> Have you documented (somewhere) what's involved in the process of
> switching the OI to a new 5.NN release?

A sort of documentation is the changeset:

https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/commit/ae88b5a90c5164f5124ab1f6a63fa405d75a9764

You basically need to do:
- switch illumos-gate to produce perl modules for new default perl
- obsolete old sun-solaris package
- update build-essential to replace old sun-solaris by new one
- switch default system-perl mediator in transforms/defaults
- switch default perl mediator in transforms/defaults
- rebuild both old and new default perl packages
- update default PERL_VERSION (this is not needed, but nice to have)

The only change in the process needed for future (unless our jenkins
setup changes) is that all of that is needed to be done in (at least)
two steps (pull requests): illumos-gate first, then wait until the
illumos-gate is rebuilt by jenkins and installed on build machine, then
everything else.

If you do not want to switch both perl and system-perl default mediators
in one go as I did now with 5.22 -> 5.34 transition, you could split it
as follows:

- for system-perl-only mediator switch you should skip "switch default
  perl mediator in transforms/defaults" and "update default
  PERL_VERSION",

- for perl-only mediator switch you need to do only "switch default perl
  mediator in transforms/defaults", "rebuild both old and new default
  perl packages", and (optionally) "update default PERL_VERSION".  This
  switch could be done, obviously, in one go since no illumos-gate is
  involved here.

As you could see above, the default perl mediator switch and the default
system-perl mediator switch are almost unrelated, except you need to
rebuild two perl packages for every such switch, so it is easier to do
both changes together.

HTH.