[OpenIndiana-discuss] Latest update problems should be fixed now

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Thu Jun 30 21:30:11 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 02:00:20PM -0700, Joshua M. Clulow via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 at 12:32, Andreas Wacknitz <A.Wacknitz at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Am 30.06.22 um 20:56 schrieb Joshua M. Clulow via openindiana-discuss:
> > > Is there some way that we can gate future publishing to the public
> > > repository on a successful test install/update?
> > We need more volunteers as I already stated several times in the past.
> > I am doing most of everything with only very few helpers. I try to test
> > all PR's but my time and test environment is limited.
> > Besides me it is quite seldom that anybody is testing anything. The
> > situation is similar in all areas of the project you can imagine.
> > In the past I have been waiting for others to do tests but that happened
> > only very rarely and typically with days to weeks of delays.
>
> So, to be clear, my question is not about looking for more manual
> testing.  I know we're all limited in time and resources.
>
> I was more trying to ask about automated testing we could have done.
> Presumably there's already automation (Jenkins?) that does the build,
> and then publishes the packages.
>
> It seems like it would be good if it was also able to create an
> ephemeral VM, then log in and use pkg to install the built bits (to
> make sure they can be installed), then reboot and make sure the
> machine at least comes up (as a basic smoke test).  If that all
> succeeds, _then_ push the packages to the public repository.
>
> Hopefully having that automated would not then require a bunch of
> extra hands-on manual work for each PR?

Unfortunately, that wouldn't help in this case (I'm talking about the
default perl update from 5.22 to 5.34).

The changeset for changing default perl was prepared assuming everything
changed will be build at once and together.  It was also tested like
this locally.  Everything worked.

The only devil in detail was that when jenkins builds updated userland
repo (it is automatically rebuilt after every merge, or set of merges)
it never builds illumos-gate together with other components.  The
illumos-gate component is rebuild automatically once a day regardless
there were any changes or not.

So in this particular case perl packages were rebuild switching the
default perl from 5.22 to 5.34, then the build machine was updated and
later illumos-gate build was attempted.  This caused that
module/sun-solaris didn't match system-perl mediator and illumos-gate
build failed.

If we would like to have some automation to catch issues like this, we
would need to build a PR, then update a machine with built bits, reboot
it and then rebuild the whole repo to make sure everything is still
properly buildable.

Anyway, lesson learned:  Jenking currently never builds illumos-gate
together with rest of userland repo and we should consider that.

Thanks and sorry for inconvenience.