[OpenIndiana-discuss] During install with minimal ISO allows no disk selection

James Madgwick james at madgwick.xyz
Fri May 6 19:10:19 UTC 2022

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 13:13:20 -0500
hput via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
wrote:

> Installing from the minimal *.iso (latest) I cannot see a way to
> select a disk my self.
>
> The interface has found a disk GPT disk marked it with an asterisk and
> a dash, and no amount moving the selection up/dwn backup up to the
> start of the process... not of those do a darn thing.  If I put the
> selector bar on a different disk and press f2.  Installer offers to
> format the disk but its not the one I selected, but the one it
> selected.
>
> There seems no way out of that, even if I completely stop the
> installer and start over with a restart of vbox vm.  It still selects
> the same old disk by itself.
>
> The only way I've found to proceed at all is to: close the install,
> delete the offending disk, create a new one to replace it and start
> again.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure that you're doing anything wrong. I used the minimal
installer very recently and had a similar problem.

I had a single unformatted disk in the system. There did not appear to
be a way to perform manual partitioning, it looked as though there were
options missing from the screen. I was able to select an automatic mode
and continue. This presented an area which was apparently supposed to
show the proposed partitions but it was completely empty. I think there
may be something wrong with the minimal installer currently.

James Madgwick