[OpenIndiana-discuss] During install with minimal ISO allows no disk selection

John D Groenveld groenveld at acm.org
Fri May 6 22:12:52 UTC 2022

In message <20220506201019.08baba47 at James-PC>, James Madgwick writes:
>On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 13:13:20 -0500
>hput via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
>wrote:
>>Installing from the minimal *.iso (latest) I cannot see a way to
>>select a disk my self.
>>
>>The interface has found a disk GPT disk marked it with an asterisk and
>>a dash, and no amount moving the selection up/dwn backup up to the
>>start of the process... not of those do a darn thing.  If I put the
>>selector bar on a different disk and press f2.  Installer offers to
>>format the disk but its not the one I selected, but the one it
>>selected.

Disk selection works with the text installer:
<URL:https://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/20211031/OI-hipster-text-20211031.iso>

Use the up and down keys and space bar to toggle the selected disk.

>I had a single unformatted disk in the system. There did not appear to
>be a way to perform manual partitioning, it looked as though there were

With the text installer you can escape to the shell from the
installation menu and then partition with format(8) and create
a root pool.
Then use the Install to Existing Pool option.

format(8) is not user friendly, I recommend using FreeBSD's
gpart(8) if you have to manually partition.

John
groenveld at acm.org