[OpenIndiana-discuss] Net booting OI Hipster using iPXE

Fox Martin martin.fox at bsse.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 22 17:39:55 UTC 2022

Hi Peter,
Many thanks for the reply.
I had tried this kernel option, but using the hostname rather than the IP. Sadly using the IP gave the same result as before.
I also had read somewhere that iPXE is not capable of uncompressing the boot_archive file so I uncompressed that file. I did proceed beyond a very early error message and got to the messages I posted previously.
I also tried adding the option install_boot=http://1.2.3.4/media/directory/boot as well as passing -v to get some more information.

What I did forget to mention is that the machine under test is a VM in a large VMWare vSphere system. If I upload the iso to vSphere and attach it to the machine I can boot up just fine. The guys asked me however if I could get a netboot system working for use on bare metal servers down in the server room and so avoid the need for that USB stick which can never be located just when you need it!!

thanks anyway,
Kind regards
Martin