[OpenIndiana-discuss] Net booting OI Hipster using iPXE

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 18:13:12 UTC 2022

Oh, network support (net-fs-root)  got taken out at some point then. :-(

Apparently here:
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/slim_source/commit/d6a47f43379aae363a27ab88378daffcdf1901f6
"Drop support for generating auto-install images"

That's an unfortunate casualty, as network booting was useful outside the
narrow context of AI.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 6:46 PM Till Wegmueller <toasterson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Unfortunately not quite :)
>
> The Shell scripts in slim_source[0] at this time only support mounting
> usb or cdrom but downloading the .zlib files into a tmpfs could be
> added. PR's Welcome :) Let me know if you need help how to modify the
> script. OmniOSCE has it's own handling of installation which supports -B
> install_media
>
> -Till
>
> [0]
>
> https://github.com/OpenIndiana/slim_source/blob/oi/hipster/usr/src/cmd/slim-install/svc/media-fs-root#L70-L107
>
> On 22/09/2022 14.03, Peter Tribble wrote:
> > I *think* adding the following to the kernel line ought to do the trick
> >
> > -B install_media=http://1.2.3.4/media/directory/
> >
> > where the url there is the directory containing the solaris.zlib file
> (and
> > for some releases, any other zlib files).
> >
> > You'll probably need to use the IP address.
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 4:59 PM Fox Martin <martin.fox at bsse.ethz.ch>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I searched long and hard
> >> and could not find what I really needed.
> >> I have a working iPXE server with various Linux and Windows images
> served
> >> up over HTTP.
> >>
> >> For OI I tried the usual tricks of specifying the kernel and initrd and
> >> then issuing a boot command but the installer always stops just after
> >> "Probing for device nodes ...
> >> Preparing live image for use"
> >> and then
> >> "Requesting System Maintenance Mode" appears.
> >>
> >> Are there kernel parameters or something else I need to issue to tell
> the
> >> OI system more about the location of boot folder, solaris.zlib etc?
> >>
> >> If there are links to documentation which solve this issue I would be
> >> grateful to get them.
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> Martin

-Peter Tribble