[OpenIndiana-discuss] Python abstact socket and config printer applet.py

Carsten Grzemba grzemba at contac-dt.de
Wed Dec 13 17:24:17 UTC 2023

I don't know when I have seen the last time the printer applet in mate-panel.

On my attempts to revive the applet I stumbled on the abstract socket stuff in the Python code of applet.py

If i try to start

/usr/share/system-config-printer/applet.py I get the exception

Process already running (2:No such file or directory). Exiting.

For the used syntax

sock.bind("\0printer-applet-lock-user-" + getpass.getuser())
the error is 2:No such file or directory, the "Process already running" notice is the interpretation of the exception handler

A sock.bind with an normal string works, but not the style with the leading \0. This is the syntax for abstract sockets on Linux.
I have no idea if abstract sockets would work on Illumos and Python. But how should work the printer applet on non Linux systems?

Thanks!
--
Carsten