[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI on HP Gen 10 Microserver

Michelle michelle at msknight.com
Thu Feb 16 22:44:21 UTC 2023

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for this.

What I find interesting is that looking at the data sheet, etc. there
is no clear indication that two are 6G and 2 are 3G. They aren't
exactly up front about it.

That's what's worrying me about the 10+, I can't find anything that
spells it out what the ports are capable of.

However, it does appear that the 10 is a Marvell controller and doesn't
advertise raid 5, whereas the 10+ is a Smart Array S100i controller and
supports raid 5, so I would have believed that they will all be 6G. If
they advertised RAID 5 and one of the drives was operating at half the
speed, then they'd likely be in for a bit of a backlash I would have
thought.

The only way to find out for sure... if someone doesn't already know...
is to wait until I've got it, put some drives in and see what the BIOS
says that the drives are connected at.

At the moment, given the bug that Carsten mentioned with booting rpool
from USB, I'm thinking of using one bay for SSD (with an SFF LFF
adaptor caddy) and the other three for the spinning rust. Backup drives
will just have to be attached by USB 3 caddy, I guess.

Michelle.