[OpenIndiana-discuss] Thunderbird/Firefox issue

Predrag Zečević predrag.zecevic.1961 at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 5 13:48:22 UTC 2023

Hi all,

I apologize myself in advance for a bit long e-mail, but I *do* use OI
as my desktop and this is kind important...

This is what I have installed ATM (I am trying to keep my system updated):
:; :; pkg list | grep -E "thunderbird|firefox"
mail/thunderbird                                  102.6.0-2022.0.0.0
     i--
web/browser/firefox                               102.6.0-2022.1.0.0
     i--
web/browser/firefox/plugin/firefox-java           1.8.3-2020.0.1.0
     i--
web/data/firefox-bookmarks                        102.6.0-2022.1.0.0
     i--

Recently (well, for sure in last 6 months) I have spotted weird issue:
when I click on URL in Thunderbird (TB) e-mail message it does not open
in Firefox (FF) anymore...

 From that, I found 2 different problems (using MATE Desktop):

---- 1) -------------
In "Preferred Application" configuration applet, I cannot choose "Web
Browser" at all!
    Seems that distributed desktop file contains all relevant info:
:; cat /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop | grep -vE
"^(Name|Comment)\["
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox Web Browser
GenericName=Web Browser
Comment=Browse the worldwide web
Exec=/usr/bin/firefox %u
TryExec=/usr/bin/firefox
Icon=firefox-icon
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=Application;Network;X-Sun-Quick-Start;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;text/mml;

---- 2) -------------
When I tried to set TB as preferred application, a I saw dozen of
entries in dropdown box, all having name "Thunderbird" (see below ...)
     Moreover, distributed dekstop file is missing MimeType (?):
:; cat /usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop | grep -vE
"^(Name|Comment)\["
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Thunderbird Mail/Calendar
GenericName=Email
Comment=Read email, blogs and usenet newsgroups and calendar
TryExec=/usr/bin/thunderbird
Exec=/usr/bin/thunderbird
Icon=thunderbird-icon
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true

Those dozen of files (from dropdown box) are located under
${HOME}/.local/share/applications/ directory and have names with this
pattern:
*userapp-Thunderbird-??????.desktop*
although, there is also:
*userapp-Thunderbird.desktop*

### Please note: this is AFTER I have removed all
userapp-Thunderbird-??????.desktop files and logged out/logged in):

:; ls -al ${HOME}/.local/share/applications/*Thunderbird*
-rw------- 1 predrag_zecevic admin 181 Jan  5 14:06
/export/home/predrag_zecevic/.local/share/applications/userapp-Thunderbird-DEBCY1.desktop
-rw------- 1 predrag_zecevic admin 246 Jan  5 13:40
/export/home/predrag_zecevic/.local/share/applications/userapp-Thunderbird.desktop

Weird is also that file ${HOME}/.config/mimeapps.list is kept updating
on log-in (you probably guessed already -- by adding new
userapp-Thunderbird-??????.desktop for mime-type) !!!

Similar did happen in the past for Firefox (e.g. several
userapp-Firefox-??????.desktop files were there) but seems gone in the
meantime.

Finally, when running this command one can see plenty of errors (I have
shown only important one):

:; pfexec update-desktop-database -v |& grep -E "thunderbird|firefox"
File "/usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop" lacks MimeType key

Lastly, where I can open ticket for this?

--
Predrag Zečević