[OpenIndiana-discuss] list archives?

James Madgwick james at madgwick.xyz
Thu Jul 20 19:15:51 UTC 2023

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 16:16:14 +0200
Till Wegmüller <toasterson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi James
>
> There are no plans for the mailing list other to at least replace the
> mailman setup with something I don't have to administer and can
> update. The Mailman links exist but I cannot change things there so
> that they would be available under a new Domain. The site went
> offline as I could not teach GitHub pages to do the same redirect
> thing that nginx did before.

So it is not possible to have a new domain to host the mailman site
pages (say lists.openindiana.org)?

> I am in favour of a modern Fediverse setup so if we found a Lemmy
> server (Open and federated version of Reddit) we could see to migrate
> there.

r/OpenIndiana and r/illumos have been around a while and don't get much
traffic. While this decentralised stuff is interesting, I'm not sure
it would be much more popular than Reddit.

> Our mailinglist is only used for existing people with very few new
> signups. And currently only the mailman subscribe via mail mechanism
> is usable. [0] A technology where people from the FOSS space actually
> are would be better

I would hope that any migration would continue to support the old way
of doing things, at least for a while. Otherwise there would be a risk
of the community being lost for good.

Something which could help as an interim step would be a site using
something like Ponymail (https://ponymail.apache.org/). This allows
users to easily browse the list online and to reply online.

Thanks,
James