[OpenIndiana-discuss] what do pkg install phases mean?

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Sun Mar 5 22:10:18 UTC 2023

On Sun, Mar 05, 2023 at 09:59:05PM +0100, Till Wegmüller wrote:
> That will actually give you a different install result. Although as we are

The result would differ only in a case a new BE is needed (so usually only in a
case when you need to update packages from illumos-gate) and only in a case you
do the userland-incorporation incorrectly.  Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

If you need to update userland components only (without a reboot) then both ways
will end with the same results.

To get as fast as possible userland update without reboot I do this (without
first and last steps, see below):

# pkg uninstall -v --deny-new-be --no-backup-be userland-incorporation entire
# pkg refresh
# ILLUMOS_VER="$(pkg list -H --no-refresh SUNWcs | awk '{print $2}' | sed -e 's/^.*-//g' -e 's/\./\\./g')"
# OUTPUT=$(pkg list -Hu --no-refresh | grep -v '^no packages have newer versions available$' | grep -v "$ILLUMOS_VER")
# [[ -n "$OUTPUT" ]] && printf "Available updates (except illumos-gate):\n%s\n\n" "$OUTPUT"
# [[ -n "$OUTPUT" ]] && printf "%s\n" "$OUTPUT" | awk '{print "/" $1}' | xargs pkg update -v --no-refresh --deny-new-be --no-backup-be
# pkg install -v --no-refresh --deny-new-be --no-backup-be userland-incorporation entire

Please note that if you always update all userland packages (everything except
illumos-gate packages, for example using above steps) then you can safely live
without the userland-incorporation installed.

OTOH, if you do the update using new BE, for example if you update everything
(including illumos-gate packages) or you simply force new BE creation using
--require-new-be, then I think the removal of the userland-incorporation prior
the update have not so visible impact (maybe no impact at all, I do not
remember).

HTH.