[OpenIndiana-discuss] Can I downgrade?

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Thu Mar 16 15:58:40 UTC 2023

Something that worked for me was specifying a specific version.

https://www.illumos.org/issues/14648

pkg install pkg://hipster-encumbered/media/vlc@2.2.8-2018.0.0.2

So although I am not sure about your question in general ("can I downgrade in IPS ?"),
I think the answer is "yes a downgrade can be done in IPS, BUT it depends".

First of all you can reboot in an old BE (boot environment) if you have kept an old BE (beadm).

An IPS downgrade also depends on the contents of the repositories, dependencies of the packages etc.
Also sometimes you have constraints like "locks" which I have documented for Squeak
http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/community/squeak/index.html

 pkg change-facet facet.version-lock.*

which is perhaps not applicable to VLC but it is to Squeak or some other IPS packages.

So in the end the question "is it possible to downgrade in IPS" has no easy answer, I think.

Basically I think the situation for media/vlc is not so bad, because 2.2.8 is still in the repo,
and the latest versions are in the repo as well.

Also the package   :  ffmpeg  can be used as an alternative to VLC.

Regards,
David Stes