[OpenIndiana-discuss] Default SMB file permission

Guenther Alka gea at napp-it.org
Fri Mar 31 00:38:47 UTC 2023

Main open question is if you use SAMBA or the Solaris kernelbased SMB
server.
I would always prefer the second due easier config and better handling
of Windows SMB permissions
and zero config ZFS snaps= Windows previous versions.

Due the lack of smb.conf, I asume you use the kernelbased SMB server:
- Settings are done via ZFS properties aclmode and aclinherit or sharectl
https://illumos.org/man/8/sharectl

or in napp-it

The kernelbased SMB server use (only and always) Windows ntfs alike
permissions
with inheritance based on Windows SID as security reference. This is why
permissions ex
in an AD environment remaion intact after a restore from backup without
any mappings.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/napp-it-zfs-server-on-omnios-solaris-news-tips-and-tricks.38240/#post-368594

Additionally to Unix groups you have Windows alike local SMB groups.

ACL are superiour to classic Unix permissions like 750.
Never set classic permissions or gid as they delete inheritance
settings or reduce permissions, always use ACL. Permissions wise Solaris
is like Windows not Unix.

To set ACL
- set aclinherit to pass-through (Windows alike)
- prefer Windows. SMB connect as root and set ACL

- for the shared filesystem:
  allow at least read access for the shared folder only

for folders below
set needed settings with inheritance to files and folders
ex modify for certain users/ groups

A possible default is also:
- allow read for everyone@ (shared filesystem, this folder only)
- allow creation of files and folders for everyone
Default is then that a creator (=owner) has full permissions, others
lack permissions

Additionally you can set share ACL. When you (re)create a share, the are
always everyone@=full
Napp-it can store/ recreate share permissions as private ZFS properties
on a re-share
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/napp-it-zfs-server-on-omnios-solaris-news-tips-and-tricks.38240/#post-356373

Gea

more,