[OpenIndiana-discuss] zoom on openindiana

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Fri May 5 11:34:43 UTC 2023

AFAIK, Zoom is proprietary and only available for Windows, macOS, (some) Linux, and iOS and Android mobile devices. It uses a number of TCP and UDP ports, including TCP ports 80 and 443 (http/https) to get started, but others too.

So I think there is probably no open source or Solaris client. There are some incompatible open source alternatives, but they're not nearly as widely used, and probably don't have as rich a feature set.

And (AFAIK, i.e. Wikipedia or occasional alerts) Zoom has a history of security and privacy issues that one might want to be aware of if one is in any position to consider alternatives.

I think browser extensions do NOT implement Zoom, but simply provide a way that URLs with certain patterns can invoke the Zoom client on supported platforms, so that clicking on a link can initiate a session.