[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI without a console?

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Mon May 8 22:17:42 UTC 2023

On 9/05/2023 1:31 am, Gary Mills wrote:
> Is anybody running OI on a computer that does not have a console?
> I have a system that I installed with the GUI image, and with an
> HDMI console and USB keyboard and mouse.  Now I'd like to use this
> system without all of them.

Three of them. Have been running OI since it was OS, oh, almost 20 years
now?  One of my three is about that old too.  Rock solid.

I found I had to use an HDMI "dummy" to get the newer ones to boot.

One of these :
https://core-electronics.com.au/hdmi-dummy-plug.html

Otherwise it would lock up OI at boot-time. YMMV.

> Can I just disconnect them?  Will OI boot fully without a console?

Yes, but ...

> Can I attach a console later, if I happen to need it?

Maybe ... I've had mixed experiences.

Carl