[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI without a console?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue May 9 15:05:42 UTC 2023

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 02:55:56AM -0400, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

> Given motherboard serial ports (like on a desktop, but very few
> laptops anymore), can OpenIndiana handle a serial console? What
> about a serial console on a PCIe card, or worse, on a USB port?

I have used serial consoles in the past.  Working with serial cables
is a frustrating experience, especially if you don't have a breakout
box.  Ethernet is much better: you just connect it, and it works.

I have two systems, one with a Supermicro motherboard, and one with
a Tyan motherboard.  Both have an IC that looks like VGA video to the
OS, but converts VGA text to a serial stream that goes to a dedicated
ethernet port.  They work nicely for me with OI and IPMI.