[OpenIndiana-discuss] Scrub on single ZFS volume

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Mon Oct 23 08:30:23 UTC 2023

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 09:14:05AM +0100, Michelle wrote:
> I'm having problems getting this question answered via the usual google
> search, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm surprised google is unable to find the zpool man page available at
https://illumos.org/man/8/zpool.  Maybe you should try different search
tool, or simply run `man zpool`?

> The question is... how do I check the integrity of the data on the
> single backup volume?

zpool scrub

> Does a scrub still make sense when there isn't any parity?

Yes.

>From the zpool man page:

     zpool scrub [-s | -p] pool...
             Begins a scrub or resumes a paused scrub.  The scrub examines all
             data in the specified pools to verify that it checksums correctly.
             For replicated (mirror or raidz) devices, ZFS automatically repairs
             any damage discovered during the scrub.  The zpool status command
             reports the progress of the scrub and summarizes the results of the
             scrub upon completion.