[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 2023.05 USB image doesn't work in QEMU

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 18:48:59 UTC 2023

On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 7:36 PM James Madgwick <james at madgwick.xyz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that the "OI-hipster-gui-20230502.usb" image doesn't boot in
> QEMU. With the command "qemu-system-x86_64 -m 3G --enable-kvm -hda
> OI-hipster-gui-20230502.usb" I only get as far as below:

That's what you would expect. If you set up a usb device in qemu and
attached
the usb image to that (and used that as the boot device) it would probably
work.
Presenting the usb image as IDE disk 0 only confuses the installer.

What's going on here is that the live boot archive only pulls the root
filesystem from
media, and it then has to mount /usr from the media, and that involves
finding
where the media is. The usb image is expecting to find itself on a usb
device,
so it will enumerate all the usb devices and try each in turn to see if it
can find
/usr (and it's own /usr, as well) on it. If that fails, then you fall into
system
maintenance mode as below.

(And booting from the iso works, as you see, because *that* is looking for
/usr
on the cdrom ,which is where you've presented it.)

> -------------
> Booting...
> NOTICE: MPO disabled because memory is interleaved
>
> WARNING: cpu1: CPUID.0xD returns invalid value: hw_low = 0, hw_high =
> 0, xsave_size = 0, ymm_size = 0, ymm_offset = 0

> 470.182.03  Fri Feb 24 03:20:38 UTC 2023 Hostname: openindiana
> Remounting root read/write
> Probing for device nodes ...
> Preparing live image for use
> Requesting System Maintenance Mode
> (See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
> Console login service(s) cannot run
>
> Enter user name for system maintenance (control-d to bypass):
> -------------
> Trying to use the newer virtual hardware (with -M q35) results in boot
> loop. If I use OVMF UEFI firmware, then it instead hangs after the
> NVIDIA message. This is using QEMU version 6.2.0 from Debian.
>
> If I instead try the CD/DVD ISO with "qemu-system-x86_64 -m 3G
> --enable-kvm -cdrom OI-hipster-gui-20230502.iso", then I get to the
> language selection prompt as expected.
>
> Is this some kind of problem with the USB image? I recall having this
> same issue a couple of years ago and gave up on the USB image - what is
> the difference between these two anyway?
>
> I've not tried the USB image with a physical PC yet - as I've always
> just used DVD, though I don't see why it should behave any differently.
>
> Regards,
> James

-Peter Tribble