[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 2023.05 USB image doesn't work in QEMU

James Madgwick james at madgwick.xyz
Fri Sep 15 18:25:02 UTC 2023

I had tried booting as a usb device but I now realise that I hadn't
removed the -M q35 argument. Trying again with "qemu-system-x86_64 -m
3G --enable-kvm -drive if=none,id=stick,format=raw,
file=OI-hipster-gui-20230502.usb -device nec-usb-xhci,id=xhci -device
usb-storage,bus=xhci.0,drive=stick" does work.

I've not come across this approach of supplying a separate USB image
much before. Debian live install images can be booted using all 3
methods without any trouble.

It would be better if instead of "Requesting System Maintenance Mode",
there was first a message explaining the problem and hinting at how it
could be solved.

Even better would be to improve the image to be more flexible, as with
Debian.

Such improvements would be done by making changes to this script [1],
and so I will look into contributing this myself.

[1]
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/slim_source/blob/oi/hipster/usr/src/cmd/slim-install/svc/media-fs-root#L63