[OpenIndiana-discuss] updates and reboots

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sun Feb 4 08:37:26 UTC 2024

Am 04.02.24 um 03:21 schrieb Goetz T. Fischer:
> well it might not be so good after all. for example just updating openssl:
>
> root at openindiana:~# pkg list library/security/openssl-31
> NAME (PUBLISHER)                                  VERSION                    IFO
> library/security/openssl-31                       3.1.4-2023.0.0.1           i--
>
> root at openindiana:~# pkg update -nv library/security/openssl-31
> No updates available for this image.
>
> looks fine. however, if i just use "pkg update -nv" i see:
> library/security/openssl-31
> 3.1.4-2023.0.0.1 -> 3.1.5-2024.0.0.0
>
> so there is an update after all. apparently updating single packages doesn't work this way.
Yes, this is by design. The metapackage userland-incorporation defines a
baseline and thus fixes all package versions of packages coming from
oi-userland.
userland-incorporation will be updated automatically whenever an
oi-userland jenkins job finishes successfully. You can only update
individual packages when you
uninstall both, userland-incorporation and entire. But that comes at
additional costs as there are no guarantees that a newer version of a
packages works with other packages.
This is, by the way, usually a duty of a package maintainer. If a
package maintainer updates a package he/she needs to check whether other
packages need to be rebuild or even updated, too.
This is a situation where problems can be introduced easily because some
dependencies and changes are obvious and others are hiddenm especially
the dependencies from illumos-gateway.

Andreas