[OpenIndiana-discuss] Heads-Up: Obsoletion of 39 old packages

Matthew R. Trower dev at blackshard.net
Tue Jan 9 22:35:56 UTC 2024

On 1/9/24 16:25, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Yes, I believe the open source OpenMotif 2.3 is not binary compatible
> with the
> Solaris closed source Motif 2.1.  That shouldn't be a problem for the
> packages
> in OI, if OI rebuilt all the packages to use OpenMotif,

It's not fully source compatible, either --- there was a function
signature change.  Nothing that would be terrible to adjust for IIRC,
just tedious in large projects (or across numerous small projects).  But
it seems like maybe we don't have much (if anything) left to worry about
in OI, anyway.

 > just for running programs built against the Solaris libraries.

Yeah, that's the sticking point.  I wonder if there are people out there
still running things like that.

-- Matthew R. Trower