[OpenIndiana-discuss] Heads-Up: Obsoletion of 39 old packages

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jan 10 23:45:04 UTC 2024

On 1/10/24 15:26, Matthew R. Trower wrote:
> I wonder why we don't have source in our build system.  Sun didn't publish
> sources for some components because they couldn't get licenses, but that
> shouldn't have been the case here.  It's just idle speculation on my part, don't
> worry about it.

For things like jedit, it may just be that no one ever translated the build
recipe from the old OpenSolaris Desktop rpm-style spec file to the Userland
Makefile used by OI.  I think hg.openindiana.org used to have a mirror of the
spec files from opensolaris.org, but all those sites are offline now, and I
don't know if or where a public mirror would still exist.  When OI started,
it first built all the sources in the formats OpenSolaris published, but over
time it simplified the build process from a mish-mash of a dozen different
build systems into the oi-userland combined repo for all of them, but that
required people who cared about each package to do the translation to the
common build system.

	-alan-