[OpenIndiana-discuss] Heads-Up: Obsoletion of 39 old packages

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Thu Jan 11 00:17:33 UTC 2024

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 05:26:22PM -0600, Matthew R. Trower wrote:
> On 1/10/24 03:33, Marcel Telka wrote:
>
> > Since nobody cared so far for many many years it looks obvious that
> > these pacakges are abandoned, unused, rotted.
>
> That doesn't follow.  I use vi daily, yet you could stop updating it for 20
> years and I wouldn't notice or care, so long as it was still distributed.
> Great age does not necessarily mean a package is unused, or even necessarily
> rotted.  Another person has already said he uses mtx.

Sure.  You are right.  This is understandable view of the situation from
user's point of view.  OTOH, developers see the situation a bit
differently.

This is exactly the reason why I posted the heads up to both
openindiana-discuss@ (targetting users) and oi-dev@ (targetting
developers).  The aim was to let the users/developers know about the
upcoming obsoletion and also to encourage somebody to do the real work
and package the stuff they care about.

It looks like the mission was successful :-).

> I'll have a look at getting JEdit, dwdiff, ROXTerm and pen packaged up.
> iozone is not GPL, but I can look at it as well.

Great news!  Thank you!