[OpenIndiana-discuss] debugging failure in text installer

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri Sep 25 19:14:57 UTC 2026


In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] debugging failure in text...:

> In message <035fbda5-6ae5-ef0e-d05a-08de7aecc8ab at ndsu.edu>, Tim Mooney via open
> indiana-discuss writes:
>> I'm considering putting OI on an older gaming workstation, but both
>> 2026.04 and the last test text-install from 2026.09.09 fail shortly
>> after booting with "Console login service(s) cannot run".  I've only
>
> Old bug, much lamented.

Can anyone point to either a bug tracker or (reachable) mailing list
thread about this?  It looks like there may be some discussion of it
in an Oracle 10 forum thread, but it's login-walled.

I would like to educate myself more about this.

>> tried the USB images, not an ISO burned to DVD, but I assume that since
>> it's booting and getting to this point, the problem isn't specific to
>> the USB subsystem.
>
> A fugly work-around is to boot the installer via a DVD drive.

Huh.  I never would have guessed.

Thanks for the info John, and the quick response!

Tim
-- 
Tim Mooney                                             Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)
North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105-5164



More information about the openindiana-discuss mailing list