[oi-dev] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch - A package list

Colin Ellis panamayacht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 21:09:39 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I've compiled a package list incorporating the ones from Alasdairrr's email
with some of the ones I feel are must-haves in order to serve anything
internet-related.  I've taken the time to list the latest stable source code
release version along with latest package versions for Fedora 14, debian
Lenny, OI 148, and where possible the latest in SFW upstream from Oracle.

My feeling is that we can do better than oracle in some of these packages
without too much work.  It will make us more marketable if we were up to
date at least with apache, mysql, php, bind9 and sendmail.  If we don't want
to release them as stable then i'd be happy to look after another
consolidation of these updated packages.

Ubuntu created a great following very quickly by being more up to date than
debian (not difficult!).  I believe that we can do the same and be better
for some applications than solaris 11.

Please comment and add your own must-have packages.

/Colin