[OpenIndiana-discuss] The latest version of OpenSSL and gcc installation

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Wed Aug 10 06:27:36 UTC 2016

On 08/ 9/16 11:38 PM, Michael Kruger wrote:

>>> pkg update updates the whole system. There is AFAIK no way to just one
>>> package.
>>
>> If contraints are relaxed you can pkg update a single package.
>
> Looking at the Oracle docs for pkg(1), I see you can do something
> similar to the following:
>
> pkg install vim at 7.3.254,5.11-0.174
>
> Or
>
> pkg install vim at latest
>

> And the [pkg update] command looks to accept the very same arguments.
>
> For example:
>
> pkg update vim at 7.3.254,5.11-0.174
>
> Or
>
> pkg update vim at latest

There are several issues to consider.
1) If build server was updated after 2016.04 release (I don't remember
exactly, but it's very likely), vim will receive dependency on nwe
system/library version. And as most illumos-gate-provided packages are
restricted by osnet-incorporation, you'll have to update the whole system.
2) If you have userland-incorporation installed (and you have it by
default), it will force specific packages' versions, so you'll have to
update whole system or relax userland-incorporation
(http://alp-notes.blogspot.ru/2015/10/userland-incorporation-in-openindiana.html).

3) If some package was updated and depends on another updated package,
you'll have to update them both.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,