[OpenIndiana-discuss] Latest hipster ZFS send/creation issues.

Hetrick, Joseph P joseph-hetrick at uiowa.edu
Tue Nov 1 17:57:56 UTC 2016

Hey folks,

  We’ve recently discovered a concerning issue.

  Our environment has several version of OI from 151a6 up to illumos-2816291.

  We discovered that zfs sends between the 2816291 systems and systems at least to 151a8 will fail with the recv end hanging.  This causes some sort of race state, and eventually the system needs to be kicked.

  We have a couple illumos-a7317ce systems that do not exhibit this behavior when they are receivers.

  What we found with some experimentation is:

  Take bare 4/16 image and create pool/filesystem, send to OI systems; no problem.
   Update 4/16 image to current; create filesystem, send to OI system: rcvr hang/failure.

   Reboot into 4/16 pre-update BE, import current created pool create FS on current created pool, send dataset to OI; no problems.

  Filesystem and pool properties/versions show no change between them; At the moment our plan is to revert back to 4/16, but this leaves us unable to pull packages from the IPS repo.

  I have not extensively trolled the illumos bug tracker to find a match for this issue; but if it is known, I apologize.

Has anyone experienced this on the list?

Thanks,

Joe