[OpenIndiana-discuss] about VT-x or AMD-v on HP-wx8600 workstation

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Oct 31 01:36:29 UTC 2016

I've been running openindiana on an HP xw8600 for some time.  It has
the most recent (2012) BIOS version published (most recent far as I
know, after googling a bit).  (If this is wrong please let me know)

 NOTE: BIOS Configuration: Hewlett-Packard 786F5 v01.46 09/20/2012

With Virtualbox, since somewhere like late 3.x series or maybe
4.x...series I've been unable to create 64 bit guests.  Getting the
error that VT-x is not turned in my bios. (With Earlier versions of
vbox I did not have that problem).

I've searched those bios repeatedly and never did find such a setting.
So just went along for more than a year or so thinking it just didn't
have the capability.

Now I've gotten my hands on another HP xw8600 that has a BIOS version
even earlier ... (2008) than the first one.  But this one is fully
capable of creating 64 bit guests.

  NOTE: BIOS Version/Date	Hewlett-Packard 786F5 v01.27, 8/8/2008

So, now I'm thinking I must just not be finding this setting.  Surely
if a 2008 bios has this capability it seems very likely that the 2012
v01.46 version would too.  But still not finding such a setting.

It should be noted that the first HP xw8600 with the 2012 version
v01.46 of BIOS is running openindiana, and the 2nd HP xw8600 with the
2008 v01.27 bios is running windows 10.

Not really sure if that makes a difference.

I really hoped there would be someone here familiar with these HP
xw8600 workstations.  And would know if;
       BIOS Configuration: Hewlett-Packard 786F5 v01.46 09/20/2012

Has a VT-x setting or not

Can anyone set me straight on this?