[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot install vbox on new hipster install

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Apr 14 02:45:09 UTC 2017

Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> writes:

> basically the answer is this:
>
>         build# pkgtrans VirtualBox-5.1.18-SunOS-amd64-r114002.pkg . all
>         Transferring <SUNWvbox> package instance
>         build# rm SUNWvbox/install/checkinstall
>         build# sed -i /checkinstall/d SUNWvbox/pkgmap
>         build# pkgadd -d . SUNWvbox

I've only used the gui to work with vms so I have a bit of learning to
do.

Following your recipe I did manage to install it without
problems... thanks to your clear instructions.

One thing I'm a little unclear about: Untill this week I had been
running 151_9 and could always install from the pkgs offered on Vbox
homepage online.  But under hipster there just flat out not
installable..  At least not any of the 5.1.X series.

I don't understand what is different about hipster that it just
absolutely cannot handle the pkgs on offer at Vbox.  I mean the ready
made binaries.

Is hipsters make up really all that different from what was openindiandia
back in the build 13X upto 151_9 days?  I thought at least some major
part of it would consist primarily of updated libraries and such.  But
apparently there is a bit of a sea change there somewhere.

For one thing Vbox from online download seems to be looking for an
older runtime gcc (4.5) I think it wanted... and it seems there is no
4.5 gcc available in our repo only 4.9 and up.  Even setting publisher
to /dev there is nothing that will work with vbox 5.1.X series.

What is it about hipster that makes it not be able to run a 4.5 gcc?

Or is that kind of thing available from repos other than /hipster?  I
mean pkgs that will run on hipster.

I haven't tried to venture out at all since I felt pretty lucky just
to make the change from 151_9 with no blood shed... hehe.

In fact I don't even know what other repos might be available.

Yikes, I've let this message turn into a Tome... bye.