[OpenIndiana-discuss] HP wx8600 and 3 tb (seagate) drives

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Apr 19 03:05:26 UTC 2017

HARDWARE: HP xw8600 2x Xeon 5470 3.33 Ghz - 32 GB ram

The hardware was first put into operation in 2008 and has BIOS version
of 1.46 which I'm pretty sure is the latest at Sep 2012.

I stumbled into something that I probably should have done some
research on first... but did not.

Recently bought a couple of refurbed seagate 3 TB drives..

On install I see the bios only sees 801 GB.. But on finishing the
bootup, the OS (oi/hipster) sees the full drive and I have written
several hundred gigs to it as a trial run.

I do see on more bootups, that a message flashes by saying the
hardware does not support the drives.  Amd several hundred lines of
the format below flash by.

  [...]

  read 225 from 5860511486 to 0xce8c5a60, error: 0x1

  [...]

The second column with the decimal numbers seems to run larger to
smaller numbers.

The 4th column of the longer decimal numbers runs small to large in
increments of 2.

The 6th column with hex numbers runs small to large.  And the final
column stays the same thrugh out.

Not sure where these start or stop and was only able to snag a few
with my phone camera since keyboard `pause' or `scroll lock' appear to
have no effect.

But again after each boot (so far) the OS seems to be doing fine and
sees the full size disks  Or at least 2.73 TB of it. And I'm guessing
the OS has the rest held for various things.

So, is anybody here running an HP xw8600 who has run large 3 tb or
larger disks on it?

Can anyone hazard a guess what the lines that fly by (one example
above) mean... and if it is likely that something nasty will happen
sooner rather than later because of the non-support by the HP
hardware?