[OpenIndiana-discuss] HP wx8600 and 3 tb (seagate) drives

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Wed Apr 19 06:09:48 UTC 2017

On 18 April 2017 at 20:05, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
> But again after each boot (so far) the OS seems to be doing fine and
> sees the full size disks  Or at least 2.73 TB of it. And I'm guessing
> the OS has the rest held for various things.

Disk vendors have always been essentially dishonest on this point.
Their professed notion of capacity is a powers-of-ten terabyte,
whereas computers have traditionally dealt in powers-of-two terabytes
(i.e., 1024 bytes in a kilobyte, etc).  2.73TB is the actual size of a
disk with an advertised capacity of three trillion bytes.

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow
UNIX Admin/Developer