[OpenIndiana-discuss] HP wx8600 and 3 tb (seagate) drives

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 06:24:21 UTC 2017

On 04/19/17 05:05 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> HARDWARE: HP xw8600 2x Xeon 5470 3.33 Ghz - 32 GB ram
>
> The hardware was first put into operation in 2008 and has BIOS version
> of 1.46 which I'm pretty sure is the latest at Sep 2012.
Even hardware mentioned seems like a workstation product, (and don't
know if support for other HP product,like disk controllers, followed the
case), there is one one general note about HP server products.

Following management change, HP in 2014 changed it's support model for
their server hardware and they require having hardware support contracts
to update firmware.
(that includes bug fixes for hardware to function properly, without bugs
delivered with hardware).
http://www.zdnet.com/article/hp-to-begin-charging-for-firmware-updates-and-service-packs-for-servers/

> This week, HP announced that effective February 19, 2014, we will
> provide firmware updates through the HP Support Center
> <http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/?ac.admitted=1391725520165.876444892.199480143>
> only to customers with a valid warranty, Care Pack Service
> <http://www.hp.com/go/carepackservices> or support agreement.

Someone could say that not caring to fix firmware/hardware bugs for
already sold hardware - unless additional pay to HP, can hurt users and
HP server products usability and affect the trust in products and hurt
sales, but it certainly seems that buying new/used HP server hardware is
more risky/costly then it seemed.

(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/12/hp_clarifies_firmware_support_contract_rules/)

http://windowsitpro.com/industry/hp-alters-access-some-server-updates-now-requires-entitlement-contract

> HP has created a new categorization in their downloads center called
> "Firmware (Entitlement Required)" and when customers attempt to access
> the updates, the web site will first verify that customer's HP Support
> Center User ID is linked to an existing contract or the registered
> equipment is under warranty.

Don't know if HP expanded new policy of requesting hardware support
contracts for updating firmware in their other products.
(http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2014/02/10/hp-bios/1)