[OpenIndiana-discuss] And the Russian firewall

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 06:47:32 UTC 2017

On 06/15/17 11:48 PM, Jerry Kemp wrote:

> On 06/15/17 02:11 PM, Илья Архипкин wrote:
>> I own the domain e-datingstory.org by order of Roskomnadzor, all pages
>> on the Internet that the Russian official does not like will be
>> blocked, and for each reason a fine of 100 thousand rubles. The domain
>> pornohab.com has already closed, even if it was outside of Russia. I
>> turned to the big operators, but they can not fix the established
>> decree. My domain was dedicated to online dating. In general, the
>> Internet was recently launched into the legal field of the law of the
>> Russian government. My domain is at 83.142.166.53 on it is our company
>> OpenSolaris and

I might say your english greatly improved. :) Just take care that
listing site names is not mistaken from making discussion point, to
doing advertising of the sites :) I think this is not the case, just saying.

Regarding original question about Russia internal governmental internet
firewall and regulations, (Even someone from Russia itself might more
precisely answer that),
it is truly needed to read and learn local regulations and try to live
by them, because if hosting from inside the country, one doesn't have
the other choice. (But do something about parliamentary representatives
to vote otherwise when enforcing some law etc.).

What comes to my mind is that in order to avoid hosting problems in
country blocking it from inside,
then one can
- transfer domain ownership with contracted another person or the
company , that is citizen / registered of the country that has no
restrictions (e.g. to cut legal ties with the site so you are not
responsible for it)
- Creating company that you own in other country that does the same
- Putting site hosting in the country with no restrictions for the
targeted audience (or having multiple hosting sites with appropriate
contents for each country)
- It is all providing, if country's legal system and firewalls erected
per-country actually don't block the site for it's content itself.

General point of country level internet restrictions put on internet
content is some kind of protection of citizens from it's influence, but
more then often, and even when content is not forbidden by local law, it
is often misused by political and corporate powers to censor it for the
benefit of small number of ruling people.

In my opinion it is per internet user to choose what to filter for it's
or it's family use (and many internet browsers or personal firewall
solutions have such automated filtering abilities).
If I would know that there are some blocked and inaccessible sites from
Serbia, I would be very upset and my government won't like the reactions :)

Citizen can't do much except of following country's laws and joining
local political system legal procedures if wanting to make some changes
(like in Hungary where not understanding government tried to put large
tax on per-Megabyte internet usage, that resulted in large and angry
protests)

Open source projects can do what they can to make it's site(s) and
development content and services, available to as much of the world
population as possible. (Hosting code and distributions in
world-population accessible servers, making available code and releases
distribution on optical media etc.)
In addition project can try not to get on filtering lists for any reason
, have separate per-country sites for local communities etc.

> So you are asking for assistance in upgrading from OpenSolaris to
> OpenIndiana?

He's a OI community member in broad discuss list, in peruse of hosting
advises in general, regarding government limitations. (a bit on the edge
but.. it's a real-world problem in using OI :) )

Opensolaris can positively be upgraded to OI, I have did that several
times and since repositories are still there under OI publisher, it can
be done.
2009.06 (111b)->snv_134 (on pkg.openindiana.org/legacy/), then from
Opensolaris to OI /dev (pkg.openindiana.org/dev/, aether to , say,
firstly 151a3 and then updating to a8 or a9 or just update)  There ZFS
can be updated to, say, V28 at least if on a3, with zpool upgrade. Then
updating from /dev/ to /hipster-2015 (pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-2015)
annd then to latest /hipster (pkg.openindiana.org/hipster).

There were some reported problems with /hipster-2015 to /hipster update
, so one can report them.
(/hipster have linked image Solaris Zones by default etc.)

>> imagine I will need to run a page to avoid getting
>> under sanctions. I ask everyone to comment on the Russian firewall
>
> I administer a several different flavors of firewalls.  Please post
> your firewall rules and I will be happy to comment.

It is a funny answer :) He is talking about Russian government internal
'firewall' for the whole country, like China has and UK has by blocking
some sites for it's citizens and many so called democratic countries
also have for various, political or corporate reasons. Rules are local
regulations for obliging censorship, I suppose all countries have them
in one way or another.

Maybe differences of implementing many different flavors of firewalls is
interesting idea for a blog post(s), or separate site for it :)

>> Regards Arhipkin Ilya
>>

> Arhipkin,
>
> I speculate that the answers I provided may not necessarily be what
> you are asking.
> It's OK if US English isn't your native language.
>
> Can you possibly ask your questions concerning OpenIndiana in a
> different way?

It's openindiana-discuss and I think that even he asked broad question
to discuss,
it is interesting topic for international collaboration and ability to
access sites from one country to another and how to avoid problems with
visibility in general.
OI seems like small community, by active members, so every member counts
in my book.

For example I think that from Iran and many other countries, people can
not directly access GitHub, where OI development and illumos code is
done so there is a limited ability for someone from Iran to join OI
community.

Aether it is from US or some other country or service, selectively
blocking whole countries from access to services or countries themselves
block sites on the internet (Turkey and Iran China and UK with blocking
PirateBay etc. are known for that).
Knowing there is large part of population of the world in non-English
speaking countries, that can hold many OI/illumos contributors it is
important to be aware of governmental and corporate restrictions that
possible contributors can suffer from accessing and hosting sites and
services.
That's one of the reason to have code and site and binaries available
in-house, to be accessible from more places.