[OpenIndiana-discuss] Not what I expected updating from 151_9 to latest hipster

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 05:59:03 UTC 2017

On 03/22/17 04:43 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'm working on updating a host from 151_9 to latest hipster.

If you do have backups, try using hipster-2015 as the intermediary step
to update old /dev installs and then from that to update to /hipster:

https://wiki.openindiana.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=30802657

That said, it is always better to do fresh install, but if wanting to
keep old /dev BE's on disk, one can also do fresh install elsewhere
(like in VirtualBox) and after creating new BE (beadm create) and
mounting it (beadm mount), delete it's contents, unmount and then zfs
send form new install to zfs receive into new BE zfs dataset.

Yet, new illumos loader change , once installed is a disruptive change,
so for booting into previous GRUB BE, including old /dev, take a look at
the announcement: https://www.openindiana.org/2016/09/28/loader-integration/
ESC on loader and:
ok beadm list zfs:rpool
ok beadm activate <bename>
ok load -t rootfs /platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive
ok boot