[OpenIndiana-discuss] BTX halted

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri May 5 23:38:14 UTC 2017

On May 5, 2017 4:41:20 PM GMT+03:00, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>A friend of mine has an Apple MacBook Pro Retina (4k) andhe would like
>to install OpenIndiana on it. For some reason,it is next to impossible
>to boot the system from a DVD. Sohe tried to boot OI from a USB flash
>disk. The system stopswith the message BTX halted and the screen looks
>like this
>https://imgur.com/ZgFKWhs
>I have checked on the Web this machine and it seems it hasUSB 3 ports.
>From my own experience the USB 3 support isbroken, so does it make
>sense to assume that the system cannot boot because of the broken USB 3
>support? BTW, Ithink that hipster is quite experimental yet the new
>Xorgbits work just fine. I have tested on systems with NVIDIAcards, ATI
>RADEON, and Intel and all work just fine. however,why did you include
>the completely broken USB 3 support?
>A.S.

Hello,

First of all - i've got no experience with modern Mac hardware so anyone *with* experience is more authoritative on this stage ;)

Second, did the friend try the recent 2017.04 release of OI Hipster (out this week)?

Finally, AFAIK each snapshot "release" includes the latest (at its time)  illumos-gate OS/Net "kernel" parts that work for some HW and might not work for others - especially if noone tried it before so there was nothing to fix or improve.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Redmi Android