[OpenIndiana-discuss] migrate rpool to new larger disk with newer bootloader in place

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Sep 9 08:56:05 UTC 2017

On September 9, 2017 8:37:19 AM GMT+02:00, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>The HOST this query is about is a recently updated hipster rpool.
>Running as vbox guest on windows 10 host.
>
>I started out with what I now see is too small of a disk for rpool.
>Currently 35 GB... and it appears 31 GB is already in use.
>I'd like to move to around a 70-80 GB disk.
>
>Since I'm dealing with a vm, the sky is the limit on what size disk or
>how many etc to use.
>
>Looking around in our documentation I notice it is hard to tell
>quickly and easily if the directions are for oi prior to change to new
>boot loader or not.
>
>I don't want to get confused and end up with the old style boot
>loader.
>
>The current OS, and rpool was installed around June of this year and
>unless I screwed it up during install, has the newer bootloader
>installed.
>
>Now to add some more to the query...
>
>I'd really like to eventually end up with a mirrored rpool on 80gb
>matched disks.
>
>I would rather do that right now unless it makes things harder to do
>with confidence.  My skill level is somewhere below basement level.
>
>I can imagine I would start by adding 2 matched 80GB disks to current
>setup.
>
>Create a mirrored zpool from that.  Then migrate the rpool from its
>current 35 GB disk to the mirrored pair of 80gb discs.
>
>However, I'd be pretty much lost from that point as to how to get the
>rest done neatly.
>
>Hopefully someone can supply a brief outline of how to go at this.
>
>Or perhaps just pointers to documentation that is not pre newer
>bootloader by someone who knows which docs would be best for this.

One way is to increase the disk, increase the partition, and set the zpool option to autoexpand so it begins to address the larger space. Another is to mirror with a bigger disk (of which just 35g will get used initially) and then mirror back to a bigger disk - or increase the original one.
Yet another might be to zfs send to a new rpool, but that might be overkill for your case.

Being VM's, don't forget to snapshot the disks/vms before experimenting, so you can roll back to working state if things break.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android