[OpenIndiana-discuss] Native speakers' help with translation wanted

James list at xdrv.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 12:05:42 UTC 2018

On 04/12/2018 17:13, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> Does it boil down to a difference between American English and British
> English?

Not really here, this is more about style and the impression one is
trying to convey than dove vs dived.  English language does not have an
equivalent of the Académie française and there is no right and wrong.
There are accepted conversions which allow us to communicate albeit
still with frequent ambiguities.  I am actually meaning the inferences
one draws from the presentation of the information beyond literal
definitions, eg, if I get a phone call from someone with a Chinese
accent it is probably a scam, Indian then "you are having trouble with
windows".  I can tell this with a high degree of probability before what
is considered factual content is conveyed.  This is not a national
characterisation and if I did daily business with either place my
expectation when my phone rang would be different and equally correct.
The same is true of word choice and style.  The English language is
notable for the multiple ways of expressing what on face value is the
same idea, we can even mean the opposite of the words - yeah right I
hear you say.  We draw on minor tips and context and combine with large
amounts of background knowledge to conclude meaning beyond the words.
This is why I am better at recognising spam than any spam filter I have
used.  Be clear there is no certainty but there is a weight of
probability.  Like it or not, life is full of cues and their
corresponding counter actions.  If I am not describing your world I
suggest you stick to writing machine code.  Language is more than just
dictionary word definitions.  Consider two renditions of the even the
same play; actor would not be a job if everyone's reading was
equivalent.  If you do not want to sound like a second rate corporate
sales department nor a candidate for the Apprentice TV show then do not
copy their style.

We have here an introductory text of an international project.  We
should endeavour to avoid unnecessary inferences.  This about how
someone else might choose to see it not whether your own personal and
possibly correct or equally opinionated view is at odds.  The text
should avoid colloquialisms, analogies, innuendos, politics, offence,
ambiguity, humour, sarcasm and jargon.  The inferences made should be of
the type: this is a well run project that does not make mistakes and one
can trust.