[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fwd: [oi-dev] [call for testing] KPTI images

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 13:38:52 UTC 2018

Hi :)

Yes, I understand that the OI team is small.

> I will continue to use this test version but install it on a PC directly.

Sure no problem, feel free to post if you encounter any issue :)

> Currently the system is fast on boot. Mate envirionment works well.

Great!

> The only problem encountered is the gcc compiler. Maybe I don't have all
> the packages installed. But I don't know about that. If someone can give me
> the list of packages to install to compile, I'd be happy.

We provide a metapackage named "build-essential" which should cover most
development requirements.

You can inspect the list of component provided by this metapackage at

https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/components/meta-packages/build-essential/build-essential.p5m

Another hint is to look at package dependencies directly, liste in
REQUIRED_PACKAGES:

https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/components/encumbered/vlc/Makefile

When components are built from oi-userland, calling "gmake env-prep" within
a component directory will install the listed dependencies.

In any case if you deal with multimedia packages you need to add the
hipster-encumbered publisher:

# pkg set-publisher -O http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-encumbered/
hipster-encumbered

You need the correct credentials to do so.

Instead of running as root, I prefer to add the "Software Installation"
profile to my user:

usermod -P "Software Installation" username

After this, you can perform action with pkg ad beadm just with pfexec (like
you would do with sudo).

Kind regards

Aurelien

> regard

> openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>:

> perfectly,

> missing

> >> Hi.
> >> 1) Current testing is not related to multimedia, we want to know
> >> general user experience with new illumos-gate bits.
> >> 2) You can always use http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-encumbered/
> >> repository to get a basic set of multimedia packages (basically, vlc
> >> and gstreamer codecs).
> >>

> > 3) If you find that some software is missing, nothing prvents you from
> >> adding it to oi-userland. There's always an issue - the more software
> >> we have, more power we need to support it. And with basic  team of 3-5
> >> men it's a big problem.
> >>

> > I am new to openindiana/illumos, and I was wondering the same. I
> > understand openindiana can use NetBSD's pkgsrc.
> >
> > Would it be best to contribute new packages directly to pkgsrc, so that
> > they would hopefully be maintained by a more numerous team, and still
> > benefitting openindiana (and illumos)?
> >
> > Priyadarshan

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings