[OpenIndiana-discuss] SOLVED: MATE 1.20 and updated GTK+3 for hipster

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Wed Oct 24 10:07:26 UTC 2018

On 24/10/2018 09:09, Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst wrote:
> On 10/23/18 21:42, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> On 10/23/18 07:38 AM, Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst wrote:
>>> What I wanted to say is, if desktop relies heavily of ownership (???) of
>>> directory /var/cache/fontconfig, maybe that package has to check it (pkg
>>> verify?)
>>
>> IPS packages are just data, they can't run commands like pkg verify -
>> unlike
>> other package systems, there is no scripting.
>>
>> The closest that could happen would be adding it to the fc-cache service -
>> packages that deliver fonts trigger a refresh of this service to update the
>> caches.
>>

> I still do not understand why this:
> $ find /var/cache/fontconfig/ -type f | wc -l
> 32766
>
> That is simply too much!
>
> $ pkg verify pkg:/system/library/fontconfig
> [Returns nothing]
>
> $ pkg fix pkg:/system/library/fontconfig
> No updates necessary for this image.
>
> That is not too much in size, though:
> $ du -shc /var/cache/fontconfig/
> 44M     /var/cache/fontconfig/
> 44M     total
>

> Can someone share his /var/cache/fontconfig/ details (on desktop, using
> OI /hipster)? Just to compare ...

Just for reference: A (fontwise) well equipped OI_151a9 has between
150 and 200 files with about 9-11 MB contents. The hipster server
without Mate actively running has 11MB and 175 files. A second
older hipster server without Mate usage is at 200 files and 5 MB.

Maybe the high number comes from the fact that it just repeatedly
renewed the caches ? Does it still fill up to that number if you
remove all those cachefiles ?
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php