[OpenIndiana-discuss] The kiss of death

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Sat Apr 24 20:56:14 UTC 2021

Thanks for the additional suggestions to get the CentOS-7 based
OpenIndiana to boot.  Here is what I get:

	boot: status
	disk device:
	    disk0:   BIOS driver C (167772160 X 512)
	      disk0s1: Solaris 2             79GB
		disk0s1a: root               79GB
		disk0s1i: root             8032KB

	illumos/x86 boot
	Default: /boot/loader
	boot: ?/

	illumos/x86 boot
	Default: /boot/loader

I propose that we drop this one for now, unless someone has deeper
insight into how to recover from this failed installation.

There is more information on the boot loader at

	https://illumos.org/man/5/loader

but none of the few commands documented there worked for me.

Next week, I'll retry an OpenIndiana installation with the OVirt
alternative on CentOS 7; I may also play with different disk types on
virt-manager.  The disk is currently SATA, but IDE, SCSI, USB, and
VirtIO are also possible (though USB isn't a candidate).

I can also report that the big package update (300+) that I ran today
on the OpenIndiana system on Ubuntu 20.04 was problem free, and the
system has been rebooted twice since, to make a virt-manager snapshot,
as well as a ZFS snapshot.  On this system, as on our many other
ZFS-based O/Ses, I have cron jobs that take daily snapshots, and the
VM disk images themselves are backed-up nightly to LTO-8 tape, and to
a remote datacenter.