[OpenIndiana-discuss] Rpool uncorrectable error

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Sun Aug 29 11:56:41 UTC 2021

> On 29. Aug 2021, at 14:31, Michelle <michelle at msknight.com> wrote:
>
> I'm sat here, not knowing quite what I'm dealing with.
>
> OI recent build on HP N54L, as you may remember I hit a problem on the
> 8th August with rpool encountering an error on the SSD with the OS.
>
> I replaced the drive and had the same thing straight away. Replaced
> with another drive and took the unit down to basics including a RAM
> check and rebuilt it. It's been running until today... same thing.
>
> On the messages screen I see at just gone 00:00 this morning...
> Sense Key: aborted command
> Vendor Gen-ATA error code 0x3
> Rpool has encountered an uncorrectable IO failure and has been
> suspended. Zpool clear will be required before the pool can be written
>
> The rpool message repeated at 00:05, 00:22, 02:54 and at 08:54 ...and
> it's now stopped responding.
>
> So... I've now got no idea where to take this. On the face of it, the
> hardware is fine... on the face of it. However, there's something wrong
> here and given the history, I'm not sure where to start.
>
> Part of me thinks I'm looking at hardware...
>
> Power? Hmmm... why does the SSD fail instead of the spinning rust
> drives?
>
> Yet another hard drive? This is number three now, throwing suspicion at
> other aspects.
>
> I am reticent to just replace with another hard drive and carry on. I
> think it may not be to blame here.
>
> Grateful for people's thoughts.
>
> Michelle.

Apparently this can be multiple things… Does your system allow to set AHCI (SATA) mode from BIOS setup? This may help.

also see https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/820-7273/ggmsj/index.html <https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/820-7273/ggmsj/index.html>

In general, you really want to keep away from IDE…

rgds,
toomas