[OpenIndiana-discuss] after Installation, no X11?

Carsten Grzemba grzemba at contac-dt.de
Thu Feb 25 18:18:20 UTC 2021

Am 24.02.21 23:44 schrieb "Rolf M. Dietze"  <rmd at orbit.in-berlin.de>:

> [...]
> >>pkg install xdm
> >>copied th svc-lightdm method to svc-xdm, set it up for xdm, reseted
> >>the xdm-fmri as was installed alongside by pkg install xdm, pointed
> >>it to the freshly createt login-xdm. (guess I could have used the
> >>default anyway, it just starts xdm so:)
> >
> >I'm glad you found a solution that works, but I think there might
> >have been an easier way that didn't involve messing with SMF at all.
> >
> >Lightdm is capable of launching any "session" it knows about. What
> >exactly a "session" is depends on the desktop environment, but for
> >the "xterm" failsafe, it's just an xterm.
> >
> >Sessions are defined in a .desktop text file in /usr/share/xsessions/
> >The .desktop file format is documented here:
> >
> >	https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/
> >
> >Using the 'mate.desktop' and 'xterm.desktop' as examples, someone
> >that knows TWM well could probably create a twm.desktop, drop it into
> >/usr/share/xesssions/, and then continue to use lightdm as the login
> >(rather than XDM), but get it to launch your twm session.
> >
> >I know that Ubuntu and some other Linux distros that use lightdm have
> >a twm.desktop configured for their distro. That might also serve as
> >a useful example.
> >
> >Either way, if you know how to get twm to "launch" after X is already
> >running, it's probably a lot easier to just make it a selectable choice
> >from Lightdm than it is to create a different SMF.
> >
> >Hope this helps,
> [..]
> well yes and no. I do not really like the look and feel of lightdm as so
> with the gdm-login, which specially denied me using cde once gnome was
> tried out and judged to be to performanceconsuming. Same goes with the
> unity stuff and debian as well. I normally use cde-login as I am still
> supporting sunray at some places, I love CDE so....
> With FreeBSD I came back to xdm as a login manager and configured it to
> look as desired, with some scripting around one can dynamically select
> the windows manager to start with xdm as well. With that and having an
> identical login manager look and feel around FreeBSD-, ubuntu-, debian-
> and now the first OI-boxes. It is simply far simpler to just change SMF
> than to have a bunch full of differnt login managers on whatever boxes.
> For the OI testbox that I set up, OI feels simply great, thanks for all
> the work and time put in OI. Next step is bhyve, Stephan Althaus just
> posted his experience with that.
>
> Right now I am fiddling with CDE. In fact, sunray on OI works? If, please
> give me a pointer, I'd love to put that on an OI box. Is there a newer
> firefox than 60.9.0? Firefox could be a show stopper for OI as a desktop
> replacement because of the old certificates. Yes sure, I could fence a
> more recent version of that power consuming firefox in some newer linux
> branded zone. That goes for me, assumingly for most of the readers of that
> list, but not for all users I have to support.

I use SunRay on OI since some years and have contribute an install guide on docs.openindiana.org.
SunRay works, but with the old GDM.

At the moment I work on building an current firefox 68 or 78, but for now the bits simply end in core dump.
Unfortunatly build in debug mode ends in link errors and the c++ objects have also no reference to the source files.

> Rolf

Carsten