[OpenIndiana-discuss] Virtualbox and USB webcam

Tony Brian Albers tba at kb.dk
Fri Jan 8 08:09:58 UTC 2021

Hi Till,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Well, it wasn't a kernel driver hogging the device. I could modunload
the usbvc driver easily, but when I tried to attach the device in vbox,
the kernel loaded the usbvc driver automagically again.

But you did actually point me in the right direction, this post helped:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=87398#p475462

### THE IMPORTANT PART ###
It seems that you need to make sure that the USB device goes into a USB
port that matches the device's type (USB 2, 3 etc.) and then make sure
that your USB controller type configuration of the VM matches the
physical port you're trying to pass through.
### END OF THE IMPORTANT PART"

So when I attached the webcam to a USB 2.0 port, there was a bit more
stuff logged in /var/adm/messages. Then I selected
"USB 2.0 (OHCI + EHCI) Controller"
in vbox settings(USB for the VM), and suddenly it works!

Next challenge is to get the mic working. And since I don't have an
external mic that might prove a bit difficult :)

And of course my old(ish) PC doesn't have a headset port, but separate
headphones/mic ports.

/tony

On 01/07/21 10:30 PM, Till Wegmueller wrote:
> Hey Tony
>
> That sounds to me like the a kernel driver is attaching to the device
> and thus Virtualbox cannot do that anymore.
>
> There is a blacklisting capability but I have never done that or know
> how exactly that works, or if it helps in this situation.
>
> It should be comparable to bhyve passthrough setups where a Host OS
> driver already attaches. And I know there are guides there for that. but
> you might ask best on IRC about specifically Virtualbox passthrough. As
> we have new facilities to achieve such a passthrough.
>
> I also remember this issue being solved once before. So you may also
> want to search the archives.
>
> -Till
>
> On 07.01.21 11:53, Tony Brian Albers wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm trying to get my webcam to work in a vbox guest (to use zoom), but
>> even though it seems to be present in the VM, cheese, zoom and qv4l2
>> only shows a blank screen. The video device is there though.
>>
>> On the host I see:
>>
>> messages:Jan  7 15:46:00 emu usba: [ID 691482 kern.warning] WARNING:
>> /pci at 0,0/pci1028,546 at 14 (xhci0): usb_mid2 cannot be reset due to other
>> applications are using it, please first close these applications, then
>> disconnect and reconnectthe device.
>>
>> In /var/adm/messages.
>>
>> I'm using virtualbox 6.1.16 r140961 with the extension pack of the same
>> version and guest additions. I use the webcam passthrough option under
>> "Devices".
>>
>> The guest is SolydX64 (debian respin)
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas? I haven't been able to find any info about
>> this specific issue.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> /tony

Tony Albers - Systems Architect - IT Development Royal Danish Library,
Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Tel: +45 2566 2383 - CVR/SE: 2898 8842 - EAN: 5798000792142